My shining star

My shining star

Monday 14 September 2015

Great North Run!

Hello all! No card tonight - just a few pictures from the great North run - and a huge thankyou for your support! My day on Sunday started around 5am - I left the house at 5.30am and drove to Morecambe to catch a coach to Newcastle. The coach arrived at Newcastle at 9.30 am and then I managed to meet Rich Haley who I was running with at the baggage buses.  Rich was a colleague of Shauns and we cooked this fundraiser up whilst shaun was still with us - it made it a very poignant event.Anyway, we headed down to our start wave - and took the first two pics -

       

As you can probably tell it was a very warm day - this caused problems for me - I don't run so well when its warm! We set off at 10.40 although it took a full 25 minutes before we crossed the start line! The atmosphere was amazing - a really wonderful event and so totally worth doing. The red arrows made their first appearance at the start of the race but cropped up again much further down the road at South Shields.



This one shows us just after the 10 mile marker - we had just been through the boost zone where there is very loud music and lots and lots of jelly babies!!!! Hence the mania I think!!!!

The going was very tough - those last three miles had me thinking about Shaun and all that he went through in his fight to stay with us - he was such a brave man.



And so onto the finish - what a day!  It took 2 hours 44 mins - it was very painful - but it was oh so worth it! So far we have raised nearly £1600 to give to the unit that looked after Shaun. Thanks so much to those of you who have been able to sponsor me - I really do appreciate it and I know the unit will!

Apologies for being such a bad blogger - I just haven't had much time but I really hope that things will settle down soon!

Big hugs and thanks again for your support - you rock!

Hugs

Rachel xx

16 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A huge well done Rachel...Shaun would be looking on you very proudly I'm sure. Hope you're not too sore today. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your run and raising so much money for such a good cause.
    You really are amazing.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am up very late cos of the flu bug. But I am so proud of you hun and you made me cry. You are one special person, big hugs and hope you get to craft soon Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Done Rachel, I think you are amazing doing this and it's fabulous that you have been able to raise so much money.
    Take care, hugs Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on a great run Rachel, and that's a lot of cash raised for the hospital too.

    Hugs Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done sweetheart, you are the best

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done girl !! You are amazing Rachel !!

    hugs Diane xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well Wonder Woman, you've done it, and well done!!! a great cause and a super amout of money, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Rachel, a wonderful achievement and for such a good cause.
    I hope you are OK.
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well Done Rachel, you really are a star and I am so privileged to know you...hugs...xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. well done Rachel and Rich congrats on how much you raised and for such a good cause
    carol x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on finishing the Great North Run, when we lived in Newcastle we used to go and watch it, I must admit we never entered it, being from Newcastle it was to close to home. Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on finishing the Great North Run, when we lived in Newcastle we used to go and watch it, I must admit we never entered it, being from Newcastle it was to close to home. Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh well done you... and a really impressive way to pay tribute to Shaun too.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for leaving a comment - it really does mean a lot to me! Hugs Rachel xx